Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Confusion? Sadness? Emptiness? Immediate Aftershock of Reading The Little Prince

I just finished The Little Prince by Antoine De Satin-Exupéry about five minutes ago and I have very mixed emotions.  I don't know how it's possible to feel so hollow but so full. Which seems to make no sense but is exactly how I feel.

The book was an adorable and wonderful children's story on the surface, with interesting and darker themes that relate to our society and human nature in general lying beneath.  

As much as I loved it, finishing it has left me with this sort of empty feeling.  I feel like I just lost my own little prince and now need to go find solace in the stars.  I'm experiencing sadness, a sort of dull shock, and just sort of upset- in general, rather distressed.  I think this is a very purposeful emotion from the author, but it stings. 

Anyways, I shall conclude this very brief post (I'll elaborate more later when I have time and I'm no longer in BIS (book-induced shock)) by urging you to read the book.  I'm sure I managed to make it sound super depressing but it's really not the nature of it, I simply got very attached to the characters and the world in the short time it took me to read the book.

Ok. Time to decompress and process that.  That teensy novella was able to really pack a punch.

 “It is such a mysterious place, the land of tears.” 
Yes.  Yes it is.  Time to go there. Sob.

1 comment:

  1. That book is so powerful. Look up the author, he's just as much a character as the Little Prince and his fox.

    ReplyDelete