Saturday, June 8, 2013

National Best Friend Day

National Best Friend Day falls today, which is lovely timing since I am seeing several of my closest human companions.

I spent a portion of the afternoon with my closest friend of all.  He has been by my side since we were only a few months old, sitting in our playpens.  Back then we were together because we didn't have a choice, but I am oh so glad we stayed close.  I have other friends I feel comfortable with, but nobody quite like him.  We have such an amazing relationship, which I am extremely thankful for.  I feel like he's the brother I need in my life for balance, and I love him for that.

Friendship is so beautiful.

When you get closer to someone, you begin to break through the image they project to the world.  You see their true self.  Their insecurities and uncertainties and flaws are revealed, and you really begin to understand and love them.  Friendship is so underestimated and overlooked in our world, although it is a force as powerful as any and more powerful than most.

Whoever said "Friends are the family we choose for ourselves" is brilliant.  It's so true, and I am so grateful for my little handpicked family. Thank you to all of my friends for all of their support and help over the years, and for all the love we shared.


No comments:

Post a Comment